Monday 14 March 2011

London Comic & Small Press Expo

I made it to London Comic & Small Press Expo on Saturday, I was a bit late but it seemed the event was still in full swing.


I had a tight budget so tried to make the most of it. I bumped into Mike Leader on the way in, and he recommended Hildafolk by Luke Pearson. As soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it. What a beautiful book. It immediately evoked the work of Tove Jansson, and upon reading did have a flavour of that sort of East European folk tale. Absolutely lovely. I thought it was a little pricey at £8, but glad I bought it. It even smells nice.


Next I had the good fortune to purchase Freakleap from Joe List. Some amusing stories, hit and miss, but when it's funny it's damn funny. His work reminded me a little of Otto Seibold, but creepier.


 

My good friends the Goodman Brothers were present, selling the Square Eyed Stories comics (I really need to finish another strip for that comic) and Dave gave me the latest issue of his own comic Bahala Na which is always a reliable source of entertainment.


Post-event, we had a little gathering, Mike Leader, Nevs Coleman, Nell and the Mighty Dave French turned up (we had a nice long discussion about which acronym we preferred for S.H.I.E.L.D.).

Ultimately after attending the show (and watching one of the discussion panels) I left feeling inspired, and promising myself I would be selling my own work at a table this time next year. There's always such a wide variety of comics, and work there that makes me think I could do this! Alas, I always say this, and I just never seem to get my shit together. We'll see anyway, I'm already working on a few bits and pieces, and have a couple of ideas that might just work. Wish me luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment